What is CLEARCorps?
CLEARCorps is a community/ AmeriCorps Based lead-education and lead remediation program. The name is an acronym -
Community Lead Education And Reduction Corps.
Across the country, partnering with local agencies (called Affiliates), CLEARCorps creates a team as a community resource to educate, screen, advocate, and remediate around lead and healthy homes issues.
CLEARCorps targets households and neighborhoods where children are at the greatest risk from lead hazards in their homes. We serve urban and rural low-income neighborhoods adn we work with families who are living in the older, under maintained homes where the risk of exposure to lead is highest. Our goals is to make homes lead-safe. We work to educate families, hold screenings, superclean homes, and remediate lead hazards in order to reduce dust levels in the homes so that they are below federal safety standards.
CLEARCorp works with community-based organizations to establish local Affiliates. our national network of independent, community-based Affiliates provides services and support to families to help them protect their children from lead poisoning and other environmental health threats. These CLEARCorps Affiliates adapt one of our program models to meet their own community’s needs. They recruit and train corpsmembers who serve their communities for up to three years. These corps members gain experiences beyond what a regular job can offer. CLEARCorps graduate learn through training and experience in the community about the dangers of preventable lead poisoning and they learn solutions to keep the community safe. These graduates become community resources and assets in helping all children stay free from lead poisoning.
CLEARCorps was created in 1995 through a partnership between The Shriver Center at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, the National Paint and Coatings Association, and the Corportation for National and Community Service’s AmeriCorps (also known as the Domestic Peace Corps) Program.
Since 1995, CLEARCorps members have been responsible for:
- Remediating 2500 homes (to lead-safe standards)
- training 360,776 people
- 94% of Families who responded noting that they were “better equipped to protect their children” after working with CLEARCorps.
- Many effective public/private partnerships
- 5 sites working on changing city codes to make children and families safer from lead.
- Thousands of children screened for lead poisoning that had not been previously screened (as a result of advocacy efforts to increase screening and performing screenings directly). In 2008, CLEARCorps directly screened over 2,000 children in Minnesota alone.
Our Mission, Values, and Vision